- An evergreen New Zealand tree of the myrtle family, which bears crimson flowers in December and January. Also called Christmas tree or in New Zealand.
More example sentences
- Metrosideros excelsa, family Myrtaceae
- It may also be because fewer of the pohutukawas are the native pohutukawas which flower only at Christmas.
- Editorials were written about the wisdom of planting another imported pine over a native pohutukawa.
- When cabbage trees erupt, pohutukawa blaze and the first blowfly of summer sings its siren song, count us out.
mid 19th century: from Maori.