Definition of point source in English:
1 Physics A source of energy, such as light or sound, which can be regarded as having negligible dimensions.
- That is why we often speak of the planetary ‘disk’ in astronomy: even under slight magnification the human eye interprets a planet as a 2 dimensional source of light and not a point source.
- Whenever an advancing wavefront of light encounters a barrier in which there is a hole, this hole acts as if it were a point source of light, with radiation of the same wavelength moving beyond the barrier away from the hole.
- Illuminance is the measurement of how bright a point source of light appears to the eye.
2A localized and stationary source of pollution. Compare with non-point source.
- However, in a British study in which the authors compared a population living around a point source of air pollution with a control population, no increase in the prevalence of low birth-weight was evident in the polluted area.
- If the pesticide - toxic by definition - got into the stream, didn't the spray nozzle on the helicopter count as a point source of pollution, just like a factory pipe?
- The simulation showed that under still and convective conditions the vapours emitted by a point source rapidly form stationary envelopes around the leaves.
Definition of point source in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan