Having little or no sense, use, or purpose: speculating like this is a pointless exercise [with infinitive]: it’s pointless to plan too far ahead
More example sentences
- It beggars belief how anyone with any sense could buy this pointless drivel.
- Whichever way you cut it, it's still too often a pointless exercise for anyone writing for the consumer press.
- It's a pointless exercise in negativity by both the Labor Party and the Democrats.
senseless, futile, hopeless, fruitless, useless, needless, wasted, in vain, unavailing, aimless, idle, to no purpose, purposeless, worthless, valueless, unproductive, unprofitable;
absurd, insane, nonsensical, stupid, silly, irrelevant, footling, fatuous, foolish, hollow, inane, ridiculous
- [as submodifier]: pointlessly burdensome regulationsMore example sentences
- Children, like all young mammals, actively do things that don't seem to make a great deal of sense at the time - playing pointlessly.
- The anachronisms remind us, pointlessly, that the play is a modern construct.
- It is presumed that the legislature avoid superfluous or meaningless words, that it does not pointlessly repeat itself or speak in vain.
- Example sentences
- Talking about football with friends also demonstrates the total pointlessness of football pundits.
- The game has, by now, descended into dire pointlessness.
- It's the sheer stupidity and pointlessness of the game that bothers me.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: point|less
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.