A North American plant with red stems, spikes of cream flowers, and purple berries. Also called poke3.
- Phytolacca americana, family Phytolaccaceae
More example sentences
- Chewing insects can spread the disease from weeds as they feed, so be sure to remove all nearby pokeweed, nightshade, catnip, horsenettle and motherwort.
- Flea beetles also feed on many nongarden plants, including Virginia creeper, pokeweed, horse nettle, pigweed and wild mustard family plants.
- Some of the most popular berry-producing plants for bluebirds include blackberry, blueberry, raspberry, elderberry, bayberry, dogwood, juniper, Virginia creeper, sumac, pokeweed, mountain ash, and mistletoe.
early 18th century: poke from Algonquian poughkone.
Definition of pokeweed in:
- The US English dictionary