- 1The most favourable position at the start of a motor race.More example sentences
- He won the pole position at Texas Motor Speedway in September of 2002 and finished a career-best third in that event.
- He started the last two races from the pole position.
- Rockenfeller responded with the fastest time in every practice session, the pole position and the race victory.
1950s: from a 19th-century use of pole in horse racing, denoting the starting position next to the inside boundary fence.
More definitions of pole positionDefinition of pole position in:
- The US English dictionary