noun (plural poleis)
- A city state in ancient Greece, especially as considered in its ideal form for philosophical purposes.More example sentences
- There were several hundred poleis in ancient Greece, many very small.
- What we call the ancient Greek world was really hundreds of independent city-states or poleis.
- Later these communities were organized into poleis or city-states.
- Scottish and Irish form of police.More example sentences
- As promised, the Belgian polis showed zero tolerance and set a standard for policing football supporters, other forces might aspire to.
- Not sure if I can make it, but it was well-attended last year, we got mugshot by the polis, which must be the mark of a good demo.