noun (plural politburos)
1The principal policymaking committee of a communist party.
- He retired from the politburo at the Communist Party's sixth convention in 1986, when the country's ‘doi moi’ economic reforms were formally endorsed.
- The FSLN National Directorate, like a Communist Party politburo, was the sole entity governing both the instruments of coercion and the judicial system.
- The agenda for the three-day party convention does not include discussion on succession or earlier demands from dissenters that Mugabe's powers be reduced and the party politburo, its main policy-making body, be elected not appointed.
1.1 (Politburo) The principal policymaking committee in the former Soviet Union, founded in 1917. Also called (1952–66) the Presidium.
- During the remainder of 1970, Honecker built up support within the Politburo and the Central Committee.
- Zaisser, a Party supporter all his life, was stripped of his job and kicked out of the Politburo, the Central Committee, and the Party.
- Prodded by the Stasi chief, the Politburo persuaded the Czech government to close its borders to East Germans.
From Russian politbyuro, from polit(icheskoe) byuro 'political bureau'.
Definition of politburo in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.