- A ghost or other supernatural being supposedly responsible for physical disturbances such as making loud noises and throwing objects about.More example sentences
- Psychic investigators supposed Gef was a poltergeist or perhaps a ghost.
- Specifically, in both Gallup and Newport's and Ross and Joshi's studies, ‘contact with ghosts’ was reported more frequently than physical manifestations associated with poltergeists.
- There were no reports of supernatural sounds, translucent ghosts, or mischievous poltergeists, let alone greenskinned reptoids in an undergraduate girls dorm!
mid 19th century: from German Poltergeist, from poltern 'create a disturbance' + Geist 'ghost'.
More definitions of poltergeistDefinition of poltergeist in:
- The US English dictionary