noun[mass noun] Medicine
- An abnormally increased concentration of haemoglobin in the blood, either through reduction of plasma volume or increase in red cell numbers. It may be a primary disease of unknown cause, or a secondary condition linked to respiratory or circulatory disorder or cancer.More example sentences
- The differential diagnoses included chronic hepatitis, idiopathic urticaria, uremia, polycythemia, thyroid disease, and malignancy, among others.
- This is more than twice the production rate in adults, primarily because of relative polycythemia and increased red blood cell turnover in neonates.
- Because in chronic pulmonary disease both hypoxemia and polycythemia are simultaneously present, their individual effects on the pulmonary circulation have been difficult to define.
More definitions of polycythaemiaDefinition of polycythaemia in:
- The US English dictionary