Definition of polygenetic in English:
1Relating to polygenesis; having more than one origin or source.
- Various theories have been proposed to account for the origin of pidgin languages, and fall into three broad types: monogenetic, polygenetic, and universalist.
- Anderson was a great proponent of the historical-geographical method of collection and analysis which typified the Finnish school, accepting the idea of a single origin for each tale type, rather than arguing for a polygenetic origin.
- A genetic model describing polygenetic and monogenetic factors for the inheritance of the osteochondral disease (so-called mixed-inheritance model) was used to detect the presence of a major gene in the inheritance of OC in pigs.
1.1 Geology Denoting or originating from a volcano that has erupted several times: polygenetic conglomerate
More example sentences
- These are characteristically formed of polygenetic intermediate volcanoes and may include both basaltic and more silicic volcanoes that have emerged during various times in their life history.
- Paleocene and Eocene sediments were deposited on a polygenetic sub-Paleogene surface.
- The core material preserves diverse structures testifying to its polygenetic origin and an evolution from a hydrostatic to a tectonic stress-dominated environment.
- Example sentences
- The polygenetically inherited metabolic syndrome of WOKW rats is associated with insulin resistance and altered gene expression in adipose tissue.
- Therefore, dermatoglyphs are used as easily accessible in the study of polygenetically influenced diseases.
Definition of polygenetic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan