Definition of polygon in English:
- For purposes of clarification: a hexagon is a polygon with six sides and six angles.
- This he obtained by circumscribing and inscribing a circle with regular polygons having 96 sides.
- He proposed successively doubling the number of sides of a regular polygon inscribed in a circle so that the difference in areas would eventually become exhausted.
pentagon from late 16th century:
The Greek expertise in geometry means that many geometrical forms have Greek names. The five-sided pentagon is formed from penta ‘five’ and gonia ‘angle’, just as polygon (late 16th century) is formed from the word for ‘many’ plus -gon and diagonal (mid 16th century) with dia ‘through’. Penta is also found in words such as the mystic figures of the pentangle (Late Middle English), pentacle (late 16th century), and pentagram (mid 19th century), and in the pentathlon (early 17th century), once the original five events of leaping, running, discus-throwing, spear-throwing, and wrestling of ancient Greek and Roman games. Fifty is found in Pentecost (Old English) which came via ecclesiastical Latin from Greek pentēkostē (hēmera) ‘fiftieth (day)’. The Jewish festival of Shavuoth is held on the fiftieth day after the second day of Passover. The Christian festival is held on the seventh Sunday after Easter commemorating the descent of the Holy Spirit on the disciples as recorded in Acts 2.
- Example sentences
- The opening between adjacent cells is trapezoidal or polygonal.
- The chambers are usually square, rectangular, or polygonal in plan and often show structural compartmentalization with side cells opening from the main chamber.
- Architecturally they incorporate the low roofs, polygonal towers and shallow, semicircular domes of the Byzantine mode.
Words that rhyme with polygonWigan • cardigan • Milligan
Definition of polygon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.