Definition of polymerize in English:
Combine or cause to combine to form a polymer: [no object]: this was baked until the sulphur began to polymerize [with object]: exposure to ultraviolet light polymerizes the biomaterials (as adjective polymerized) a polymerized form of water
More example sentences
- Bacterial fermentation of carbohydrates produces lactic acid, and this in turn can be chemically polymerised to a high molecular weight PLA polyester.
- They are then treated with a reacting compound that causes the molecules to polymerize and change the color of hair.
- Glucose loses two water molecules and rearranges to form hydroxymethyl furfural, which polymerizes into brown pigments that add flavor and color to the candy.
- polymerizable adjective
- Example sentences
- This stabilizing effect has been observed in solid copolymers of methacrylate monomers with Rhodamine 6G analogs containing polymerizable groups in their structure.
- Other resins do have polymerizable components and dry by a combination of essential oil loss and polymerization.
- These data suggest that, similar to salt-induced polymerization, the filament assembly by S1 involves an initial ‘monomer activation’ step transforming G-actin into polymerizable species.
- Example sentences
- They could have been produced by the photodissociation and polymerisation of atmospheric molecules, such as carbon dioxide, methane and ammonia, through a combination of high temperature, ultraviolet light and bolts of lightning.
- In the free radical polymerization of ethylene to form polyethylene, a small amount of a peroxide is added to a large volume of ethylene.
- For example, polystyrene is the material that results from the polymerization of styrene monomers.
Definition of polymerize in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.