Definition of polyp in English:
1 Zoology A solitary or colonial sedentary form of a coelenterate such as a sea anemone, typically having a columnar body with the mouth uppermost surrounded by a ring of tentacles. In some species, polyps are a phase in the life cycle which alternates with a medusoid phase. Compare with medusa.
- A few, such as Hydra, are solitary polyps that lack a medusoid stage.
- Most hydrozoans alternate between a polyp and a medusa stage - they spend part of their lives as ‘jellyfish’ which are hard to distinguish from scyphozoan jellyfish.
- Instead, many used a scenario approach to conclude that solitary sessile polyps represent the ancestral cnidarian form.
2 Medicine A small growth, usually benign and with a stalk, protruding from a mucous membrane.
- The laser can also provide relief for symptoms caused by benign airway tumors such as hamartomas, papillomas, polyps, and angiomas.
- What's more, most tumors start out as polyps, or benign growths, in the colon.
- Screening for and removal of colorectal cancer and precancerous adenomatous polyps can decrease the incidence of colon disease.
Words that rhyme with polypgymslip • side-slip • oxlip
Definition of polyp in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.