Definition of polyp in English:
1 Zoology A solitary or colonial sedentary form of a coelenterate such as a sea anemone, typically having a columnar body with the mouth uppermost surrounded by a ring of tentacles. In some species, polyps are a phase in the life cycle which alternates with a medusoid phase. Compare with medusa.
- A few, such as Hydra, are solitary polyps that lack a medusoid stage.
- Most hydrozoans alternate between a polyp and a medusa stage - they spend part of their lives as ‘jellyfish’ which are hard to distinguish from scyphozoan jellyfish.
- Instead, many used a scenario approach to conclude that solitary sessile polyps represent the ancestral cnidarian form.
2 Medicine A small growth, usually benign and with a stalk, protruding from a mucous membrane.
- The laser can also provide relief for symptoms caused by benign airway tumors such as hamartomas, papillomas, polyps, and angiomas.
- What's more, most tumors start out as polyps, or benign growths, in the colon.
- Screening for and removal of colorectal cancer and precancerous adenomatous polyps can decrease the incidence of colon disease.
Definition of polyp in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan