Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of polypharmacy in English:
noun (plural polypharmacies)
1The simultaneous use of multiple drugs to treat a single ailment or condition.
- Multiple drug therapy or polypharmacy is quite common, with the consequence of adverse drug interactions, the risk of which rises exponentially with the number of drugs given simultaneously and with concurrent diseases.
- The pitfalls of aggressive treatment often include polypharmacy with multiple medication side effects and numerous adjunctive medications complicating the clinical picture.
- Optimally use single-drug therapy because polypharmacy impairs drug effectiveness and side effects accumulate.
1.1The simultaneous use of multiple drugs by a single patient, for one or more conditions.
- Prescribing potentially inappropriate medications occurs in various health care settings, and older patients are especially at risk of adverse effects from polypharmacy.
- The risk of falling rose with the number of drugs taken and the number of chronic diseases each woman had, but the association was stronger for multiple pathology than for polypharmacy and remained in the fully adjusted analyses.
- He mentions polypharmacy as a factor contributing to falls but not that reducing polypharmacy is an effective service that should be implemented.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.