noun[mass noun] Medicine
- A condition characterized by the presence of numerous internal polyps, especially a hereditary disease ( familial adenomatous polyposis) which affects the colon and in which the polyps may become malignant.More example sentences
- High-risk patients include patients younger than 60 years with a history of hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer, familial polyposis, ulcerative colitis, high-risk adenomatous polyps or previous colorectal cancer.
- Familial adenomatous polyposis is an autosomal dominant syndrome in which hundreds to more than a thousand polyps develop in the colon and other parts of the gastrointestinal tract, beginning early in life.
- Patients with inflammatory bowel disease, familial polyposis, acute abdominal symptoms, or pregnancy were excluded.
More definitions of polyposisDefinition of polyposis in:
- The US English dictionary