- A painting, typically an altarpiece, consisting of more than three leaves or panels joined by hinges or folds.More example sentences
- Some consist of a single panel; others are diptychs or polyptychs in which the panels abut or hang a few inches apart.
- Surviving panels by him include parts of a Passion polyptych, recalling his frescoes in S. Francesco, Assisi.
- Earlier images of this type took the form of polyptychs, composed of a central panel that featured the Virgin and Child with separate, framed panels attached on either side that bore images of saints.
mid 19th century: from late Latin polyptycha (neuter plural) 'registers', from Greek poluptukhos 'having many folds', from polu- 'many' + ptukhē 'fold'.
More definitions of polyptychDefinition of polyptych in:
- The US English dictionary