- An institution of higher education offering courses at degree level or below, especially in vocational subjects.More example sentences
- This result was accomplished by granting university status to the polytechnics and to some colleges of higher education.
- To supply the growing educational and training demand, active support has been granted to private institutes, polytechnics and colleges that provide IT training.
- The conversion of the British polytechnics into universities is parallel to the move by some community colleges to offer a workforce bachelor's degree.
early 19th century: from French polytechnique, from Greek polutekhnos, from polu- 'many' + tekhnē 'art'.
In Britain the term polytechnic has largely dropped out of use. In 1989 British polytechnics gained autonomy from local education authorities and in 1992 were able to call themselves universities.
More definitions of polytechnicDefinition of polytechnic in:
- The US English dictionary