- A large Arctic-breeding skua, having dark brown plumage with (in some birds) pale underparts.
More example sentences
- Stercorarius pomarinus, family Stercorariidae. North American name: pomarine jaeger
- At distances close to an owl, however, Steller's eider nesting success was much less dependent upon proximity to a pomarine jaeger, with successful nests occurring at distances up to 350 m from jaegers.
- Thus, we contend that Steller's eiders choose when and where to nest because of various factors: chief among them is pomarine jaeger and snowy owl distribution, which is based on lemming abundance.
- These distances were estimated either visually or by pacing in 1993; however, in 1996 and 1999, a GPS unit was used to record locations of pomarine jaeger nests.
mid 19th century: pomarine from French pomarin, from Greek pōma 'cover, lid' + rhis, rhin- 'nose' (because the bird's nostrils are partly covered by a cere).