Definition of pomelo in English:
noun (plural pomelos)
1The largest of the citrus fruits, with a thick yellow skin and bitter pulp which resembles grapefruit in flavour. Also called shaddock.
- Slightly larger and heavier than its sister ‘Oroblanco’, ‘Melogold’ expresses more of its pummelo than grapefruit heritage.
- In fact the grapefruit is simply a hybrid between a pomelo and an orange.
- Melogolds and Oroblancos are different hybrids from pummelo and grapefruit parents.
2The tree which bears the pomelo.
- Citrus maxima, family Rutaceae
- After the fall of the Roman Empire the Arabs cultivated and disseminated the bitter orange, pomelo, lime, and sweet orange, between the 12th and 15th centuries.
- Since the plants are not that profitable Im planning to plant some fruit bearing trees like rambutan, durian or pomelo in between crops.
Mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with pomelouniflow
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.