A deep-bodied fish of open seas, which typically has scales on the dorsal and anal fins.
- Family Bramidae: several genera and species, including the edible Brama brama of the North Atlantic (also called Ray’s bream)
More example sentences
- These are followed by eight seafood items and covers salmon, lobster, snow fish, snapper, pomfret and sea bass.
- Fish on offer include sea bass, grouper, pomfret, butter fish, snow fish, red snapper and tub tim.
- Seer fish steaks and fillets pomfret and mackerel are for the taking.
early 18th century: apparently from Portuguese pampo.
Definition of pomfret in:
- The US English dictionary