noun (plural pompanos)
- 1An edible butterfish that lives in shoals along the west coast of North America.
More example sentences
- Peprillus simillimus, family Stromateidae
- The so-called California pompano is a common Pacific harvest fish.
- Among these are the harvest fish (Peprilus alepidotus), an Atlantic species that usually grows to about 20 cm (8 inches) long; the Pacific pompano (Peprilus simillimus), a silvery Californian fish; and Pampus argenteus, a black-spotted, Oriental fish.
- 2 another term for jack1 ( sense 11).More example sentences
- Over the week they were rewarded by the sight of slumbering nurse sharks, moray eels, hawksbill turtles, stingrays, bounteous barracuda, big solitary midnight parrotfish and African pompano.
- The hull is almost entirely covered with cave coral and the ship is home to a 60 kg grouper, along with schools of trevallies, barracudas and African pompanos.
- One boat of women spent the day in the gulf rather than offshore and caught bonito, sierra mackerel, African pompano, yellow tails and, after an hour's fight, a stingray.
late 18th century: from Spanish pámpano, perhaps from pámpana 'vine leaf', because of its shape.
More definitions of pompanoDefinition of pompano in:
- The US English dictionary