noun (plural pronunc. same)
- An artist regarded as painting in an academic, imitative, and vulgarly neoclassical style: the turn-of-the-century pompiers [as modifier]: this pompier artistMore example sentences
- Vehemently antimodern, he devoted his considerable resources to preserving a tradition embraced by the 19th-century artists he adored, pompiers like William Bouguereau and Jean-Leon Gerome.
- He dismissed Mapplethorpe as a pompier - an artist so concerned with elegance as to have lost touch with the limits of his medium.
- In terms of this higher morality, the pompier and the poet both have invisible existences, both happen upon laborious roads of the future.
mid 19th century: from French, literally 'fireman', said to derive from the similarity between firemen's helmets and those worn by the Greek gods and heroes depicted by late Classical artists.
More definitions of pompierDefinition of pompier in:
- The US English dictionary