Think about (something) carefully, especially before making a decision or reaching a conclusion: I pondered the question of what clothes to wear for the occasion [no object]: she sat pondering over her problem
More example sentences
- There is a subtle message to the reader who sits pondering the meaning of the titles.
- Believe it or not they don't just sit indoors, pondering life and pausing occasionally to smell a rose.
- The merest of pauses follow as he ponders his quick-fire response.
think about, give thought to, consider, review, reflect on, mull over, contemplate, study, meditate on, muse on, deliberate about, cogitate on, dwell on, brood on/over, ruminate about/on, chew over, puzzle over, speculate about, weigh up, turn over in one's mind; be in a brown study
informal put on one's thinking cap about
archaic pore on
Middle English (in the sense 'appraise, judge the worth of'): from Old French ponderer 'consider', from Latin ponderare 'weigh, reflect on', from pondus, ponder- 'weight'.
( rare )
- More example sentences
- And the worst part is that, where I usually question my friends when things go bad & wonder whether they're worth it & other uberdramatic ponderations, at the moment I seem to be questioning my devotion to them.
- So it was only after ten minutes of steamy ponderation that I finally clucked my tongue for the last time and turned on BBEdit's ‘Show Line Numbers’ feature to get my score.
- There is so much out there to think about, to enrich ourselves with and to use our cerebral matter in ponderation that it seemed to me to be almost a crime for these people not to use their grey matter to its full potential!