(also ponderosa pine)
- A tall, slender North American pine tree, planted for timber and as an ornamental.
More example sentences
- Pinus ponderosa, family Pinaceae
- A single seed was used for species with larger seeds (western white pine, ponderosa pine, loblolly pine, and Pacific silver fir).
- In ponderosa pine, lodgepole pine, and Sitka spruce, dimpling sometimes occurs as numerous small, conical indentations of the plane of the growth ring.
- Eventually, dwarf mistletoe plants steal enough water, minerals, and nutrients to kill the ponderosa and lodgepole pines, Douglas-firs, western larches, and western hemlocks they attack.
late 19th century: feminine of Latin ponderosus 'massive', used as a specific epithet in Pinus ponderosa.
More definitions of ponderosaDefinition of ponderosa in:
- The US English dictionary