(also corn pone or pone bread)
noun[mass noun] US
- Unleavened maize bread in the form of flat oval cakes or loaves, originally as prepared with water by North American Indians and cooked in hot ashes: she used to come into town weekly to sell her poneMore example sentences
- Cooked, this innocent combination forms the superstructure for such savory staples we know as: mush, cornmeal fritters, hush puppies, pone and pudding, dodgers, relish, bread, sticks and stuffing.
- Southerners preferred corn dodgers or pone and pork and clabber rather than Yankee beef.
- The reference is to the celebrated corn pone; the binomial form is to be preferred, since pone by itself could sometimes refer to a bread made of something other than corn.
More definitions of poneDefinition of pone in:
- The US English dictionary