- 1The Tamil New Year festival, celebrated by the cooking of new rice.More example sentences
- They celebrated Pongal by distributing sugarcane pieces and collectively bringing to boil the quintessential made of rice, milk and jaggery.
- Pongal is a popular harvest festival in South India.
- 1.1 [mass noun] A southern Indian dish of rice cooked with various herbs and spices.More example sentences
- Over 2,000 people attended as families simultaneously boiled a total of 320 ceremonial pots of sweet rice, called pongal.
- There's some discussion about the menu: the consensus is on simple idli and various kinds of rice preparations (lemon rice, pongal, sambar rice, curd rice).
- They enjoyed the pongal, but not before offering prayers to the Sun God.
from Tamil poṅkal, literally 'boiling, swelling' (with reference to the cooking process of rice).