- 1 • dated A vain or conceited person, especially one who dresses or behaves extravagantly.More example sentences
- I am pretty sure I'm a drink-soaked popinjay myself, and formerly many things of a disreputable nature.
- These weedy fly-bitten popinjays, these pribbling clumsy clay-brained miscreants - how dare they think they can share the same job title as me?
- It is an oft-told story, but can still stir anger and pity, with the family feuding of the aristocratic popinjays commanding the brigade even spilling over onto the battlefield.
- 2 • archaic A parrot.More example sentences
- Coloring inside the lines is for popinjays and cockatoos!
Middle English: from Old French papingay, via Spanish from Arabic babbaġā. The change in the ending was due to association with jay.
More definitions of popinjayDefinition of popinjay in:
- The US English dictionary