1A tall, fast-growing tree of north temperate regions, widely grown in shelter belts and for timber and pulp.
- Genus Populus, family Salicaceae: many species, including the North American cottonwoods and the balm of Gilead poplars
More example sentences
- Upstairs, corner windows in bedrooms give more sweeping views of the property's black cherry trees, poplars and white pines.
- The most common forms included beech-like trees, poplars, willows, cattails, sumac, soapberry, and conifers such as pines, sequoias, and false cypress.
- Hurricane Hugo had just come through, leveling the tulip poplars and other trees that had obstructed a view of the town and the Virginia mountains in the distance.
Definition of poplar in:
- The US English dictionary