A herbaceous plant with showy flowers, milky sap, and rounded seed capsules. Many poppies contain alkaloids and are a source of drugs such as morphine and codeine.
- Papaver and other genera, family Papaveraceae (the poppy family): many species, including the wild red-flowered corn poppy (P. rhoeas). The poppy family also includes the corydalis, greater celandine, and bloodroot
- Plants like peonies, poppies, and irises should also be planted in the fall season.
- There will be colourful flowers, such as poppies to look at and smell, prickly plants and vegetables to eat.
- We tried cheerful annuals, marigolds, nasturtiums and poppies.
Words that rhyme with poppychoppy, copy, floppy, jalopy, moppy, sloppy, soppy, stroppy
adjective (poppier, poppiest)
(Of popular music) tuneful and immediately appealing: catchy, poppy tunes
More example sentences
- It's your standard fare of poppy dance music with a vocalist whose R&B stylings come through her voice.
- He pushed a button on a small remote in his hand, and some annoying poppy music started playing.
- These dozen folk-punk songs swing with an infectious rhythm and rollicking, poppy beat.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.