Definition of populous in English:
Having a large population; densely populated: the populous city of Shanghai
More example sentences
- Being fed up with the madding crowd in one of the country's most populous cities, I wanted to get closer to nature.
- This is a very big city of course, it's the biggest city in the state, it's the fourth most populous city in the US.
- This tide is driven by the two most populous nations in the world.
late Middle English: from late Latin populosus, from populus 'people'.
- Example sentences
- Moreover, planters like Long contradicted themselves in blaming polygamy for low fertility while citing the ‘populousness’ of West Africa, where the practice ‘universally prevailed’.
- The bewildering populousness of Friday night's party was in stark contrast to the scenes on Saturday morning at the rowing, where nobody seemed to have turned up who wasn't either a rower or Tony Blair.
- One was concerned with the relative populousness of the ancient and modern worlds and the other seven were contributions to what is now called economics.
Words that rhyme with populouspopulace
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan