Having a large population; densely populated: the populous city of Shanghai
More example sentences
- Being fed up with the madding crowd in one of the country's most populous cities, I wanted to get closer to nature.
- This is a very big city of course, it's the biggest city in the state, it's the fourth most populous city in the US.
- This tide is driven by the two most populous nations in the world.
- Example sentences
- Moreover, planters like Long contradicted themselves in blaming polygamy for low fertility while citing the ‘populousness’ of West Africa, where the practice ‘universally prevailed’.
- The bewildering populousness of Friday night's party was in stark contrast to the scenes on Saturday morning at the rowing, where nobody seemed to have turned up who wasn't either a rower or Tony Blair.
- One was concerned with the relative populousness of the ancient and modern worlds and the other seven were contributions to what is now called economics.
Late Middle English: from late Latin populosus, from populus 'people'.
Words that rhyme with populouspopulace
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: popu|lous
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.