A large, active shark which is found chiefly in the open seas of the North Atlantic and in the Mediterranean. Also called mackerel shark.
- Lamna nasus, family Lamnidae
More example sentences
- He says even anglers who fish specifically for sharks often confuse porbeagles with mako sharks and other species.
- Whereas special techniques are needed for catching large sharks such as the porbeagle, dogfish come up frequently in trawls along with other fish.
- What about the spring pollack of my south western reefs or the magnificent porbeagle shark fishing of North Cornwall?
mid 18th century: perhaps from Cornish porth 'harbour, cove' + bugel 'shepherd'.
Definition of porbeagle in:
- The US English dictionary