noun (plural porgies)
- A deep-bodied fish related to the sea breams, which is typically silvery but sometimes changes to a blotched pattern. It usually lives in warm coastal waters.
More example sentences
- Calamus and other genera, family Sparidae: many species
- However, it makes a good home for numerous pufferfish, porgies and sweetlips, and surgeonfish shoal in the open water nearby.
- While deciding, we stared into the eyes of a striped bass, sea bass, porgy and red snapper.
- The porgy is a fine fish with firm and flaky flesh.
mid 17th century: alteration of Spanish and Portuguese pargo.
More definitions of porgyDefinition of porgy in:
- The US English dictionary