- An aquatic invertebrate animal of the phylum Porifera; a sponge.More example sentences
- With a worldwide fauna of at least 15,000 species, poriferans are among the most diverse of sessile marine taxa.
- In all cases, poriferans have a canal system, through which they pump water.
- The first seems to have occurred before the split between poriferans and the other metazoans.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to or denoting poriferans.More example sentences
- In that time, the first undoubted fossil annelids, arthropods, brachiopods, echinoderms, molluscs, onychophorans, poriferans, and priapulids show up in rocks all over the world.
- For that matter, even the syncytial ‘gut’ departs further from the cnidarian or poriferan system than from the bilaterian archenteron.
- Between 1859 and 1866, he worked on many ‘invertebrate’ groups, including radiolarians, poriferans and annelids (segmented worms).
More definitions of poriferanDefinition of poriferan in:
- The US English dictionary