- Any of a class of proteins whose molecules can form channels (large enough to allow the passage of small ions and molecules) through cellular membranes.More example sentences
- These molecular sieving properties are due to a major class of proteins called porins that form trimeric channels in the outer membrane.
- This function is accomplished by a number of membrane channel proteins called porins, which display a wide range of permeability profiles.
- Bacterial outer membrane porins are classified into channels specific for the uptake of nutrients, such as maltose or sucrose, and unspecific pore proteins.
1970s: from Greek poros 'pore' + -in1.
More definitions of porinDefinition of porin in:
- The US English dictionary