Definition of pornography in English:
Printed or visual material containing the explicit description or display of sexual organs or activity, intended to stimulate sexual excitement.
- The denial of the social fact of sexuality in pornography is made explicit in its audience.
- This is not hardcore pornography and the material can be bought in many stores.
- There's always a tricky issue when you get into stolen material or pornography.
mid 19th century: from Greek pornographos 'writing about prostitutes', from pornē 'prostitute' + graphein 'write'.
- Example sentences
- It's true, what Americans would call pornography, Japanese pornographers call ‘pink film.’
- The internet, headlines constantly warn us, is an unregulated haven of paedophiles and pornographers, hackers and hate-criminals, fraudsters and phishermen.
- From politicians to con artists, rapists to flesh peddling pornographers, we all have a certain visual reference point for the redolent and the reprobate.
Words that rhyme with pornographyautobiography, bibliography, biography, cardiography, cartography, chirography, choreography, chromatography, cinematography, cosmography, cryptography, demography, discography, filmography, geography, hagiography, historiography, hydrography, iconography, lexicography, lithography, oceanography, orthography, palaeography (US paleography), photography, radiography, reprography, stenography, topography, typography
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan