adjective (portlier, portliest)
1(Especially of a man) rather fat: a portly little man with a bowler hat
More example sentences
- In the back of the restaurant, a rather portly man with graying hair sat down before a piano and placed his stubby fingers upon its glossy white keys.
- He is a rather portly man with wavy, sand coloured hair and a farmer's style shirt.
- A portly man was already in there, looking rather casual and unshaven.
stout, plump, fat, overweight, heavy, corpulent, fleshy, paunchy, pot-bellied, beer-bellied, of ample build, ample, well upholstered, well padded, broad in the beam, rotund, roly-poly, round, rounded, stocky, bulky, Falstaffian
North American informal lard-assed, corn-fed
- Example sentences
- In June a House subcommittee held hearings on the Personal Responsibility in Food Consumption Act, which would prevent fat people from winning damages by blaming restaurants, food manufacturers, or retailers for their portliness.
- The gentleman had had a propensity to a degree of portliness of late, but his tummy visibly trimmed as the canvass progressed, and he admitted to be wearing slacks into which he hadn't fitted for years.
- Gone are the days when only the super-rich could afford to eat plenty, making portliness a sign of high social standing.
Words that rhyme with portlycourtly
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.