Definition of portrait in English:
- His exploits were commemorated in a series of paintings, portraits and engravings.
- He made his reputation as a painter of small-scale portraits and genre scenes of contemporary city life.
- It is in these interior scenes and portraits that art historians have most often claimed to detect the use of the camera.
- McCarthy's film is really a portrait of the risks and rewards of letting others see your vulnerable side.
- Now his estranged son has filmed a portrait of the great architect, his buildings and his haunted life.
- The film offered a portrait of a young Greek god, albeit an eccentric one, obsessed with speed, cinema and women.
- This allows you physically to swivel the screen to either landscape or portrait configuration.
- The Rotate button spins the display into a portrait format, which can be very handy when you're reading a long document.
- The seventh button toggles full-screen text input on and off, the eighth flips the display from portrait mode to landscape.
- sense 1.Example sentences
- Bernard was hugely influenced by the great portraitists - Rembrandt, Velasquez, Van Dyck, and our own Sir William Orpen.
- Like Rembrandt, his contemporaries among the Restoration portraitists favoured fanciful mythological guises.
- There is also an array of works in the show by established portraitists.
Mid 16th century: from French, past participle (used as a noun) of Old French portraire 'portray'.
abstract from Middle English:
The Latin source of abstract, meant literally ‘drawn away’ and is from abstrahere, from the elements ab- ‘from’ and trahere ‘draw off’. The use in art dates from the mid 19th century. Trahere is found in many English words including: attract (Late Middle English) with ad ‘to’; portrait (mid 16th century), something drawn; protract (mid 16th century) with pro ‘out’; retract (Late Middle English) and retreat (Late Middle English) both drawing back; and words listed at train.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.