Definition of possessor in English:
1A person who owns something or has a particular quality: his father was the possessor of a considerable fortune
More example sentences
- History shows that since the arrival of Africans on American shores, some black Americans have been free, self-employed, and possessors of considerable wealth.
- At the time, there was a rule that students could not bring radios to school, and the officials had been enforcing the rule with great vigor, seizing radios and punishing their possessors.
- But the certainty of retaliation and mass destruction has kept nuclear weapons possessors from using them.
1.1 Law A person who takes, occupies, or holds something without necessarily having ownership, or as distinguished from the owner.
- But for all other articles, including most knives, the onus is on the prosecution to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the possessor intends to use it to cause injury.
- The wrongful acts of a previous possessor do not therefore diminish the plaintiff's claim in respect of the wrongful acts of a later possessor.
- Except in the case of joint possessors, possession is single and exclusive.
- Example sentences
- The trial decision is about equitable possessory title and the court of appeal said that doesn't exist.
- To take account of this, the system provides for a possessory title to be upgraded to absolute title after it has been registered for 12 years.
- The screenwriters union wants to eliminate the so called possessory credit, ‘A film by…,’ saying it relegates writers to a secondary status within the industry.
Definition of possessor in:
- US English dictionary