Definition of possum in English:
1A tree-dwelling Australasian marsupial that typically has a prehensile tail.
- It is what we, as carers of koalas, birds, possums, macropods (wallabies, kangaroos etc.) and other wildlife carers are trained to do.
- Maybe you would see koalas, wombats, echidnas, brush tail and ring tail possums and emus if you're lucky.
- In Tasmania we have such a huge amount of wildlife: brush tail possums, all sorts of animals that at a glimpse, at a distance in poor light or whatever, can appear to be a fox.
early 17th century: shortening of opossum.
- Today I did washing at home in my washing machine, on the off-chance that it'd just been playing possum, and lo and behold, it worked just fine.
- After a retrospective release the band finally relented after 28 years of playing possum.
- Isn't that playing possum stuff supposed to protect them?
1Pretend to be asleep or unconscious (as an opossum does when threatened).
Definition of possum in:
- US English dictionary