1The public department or corporation responsible for postal services and (in some countries) telecommunications.
- The strike is set to halt postal delivery and post office counter service in the London area.
- The council is exploring the option of having a community post office service provided within the village.
- Government still attempts this, with its ridiculous post office and public utility monopolies.
1.1A building where postal business is transacted.
- When choosing sites for new developments we still place great importance on having a post office and other public amenities nearby.
- I placed my name on a recent letter to the editor about the lousy service at the local post office and I am not sorry that I did.
- The jury heard that the robberies at the service station and the post office were committed within six hours of each other last April.
2 US term for postman's knock.
- So how do you play Post Office? What are the rules?"
- I remember playing Post Office, but I don't remember exactly how it worked - it's funny, but I don't remember any of the boys I kissed, either.
- They met, played ‘post office’ on three dates, got married in 1970, and have been together ever since.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: post of¦fice
Definition of post office in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.