Definition of post-structuralism in English:
- These two shifts are fundamentally related in that the structuralist focus on the function of Western epistemology leads directly to post-structuralism's ontological dominant.
- But if Marx, Freud, Nietzsche, Lacan, structuralism, post-structuralism and postmodernism have taught us anything, it is that the category of the individual cannot be treated as a given.
- It must be recognized that while relations between structuralism, post-structuralism, and history became extremely complex, processes of disciplinary border crossing still took place.
Emerging in French intellectual life in the late 1960s and early 1970s, post-structuralism embraced Jacques Derrida’s deconstructionism and the later work of Roland Barthes, the psychoanalytic theories of Jacques Lacan and Julia Kristeva (b.1941), the historical critiques of Michel Foucault, and the writings of Jean-François Lyotard and Jean Baudrillard. It departed from the claims to objectivity and comprehensiveness made by structuralism and emphasized instead plurality and deferral of meaning, rejecting the fixed binary oppositions of structuralism and the validity of authorial authority
- Example sentences
- In a post-structuralist world, in which reality is ambiguous and uncertain, the internet as codex, provides the model for our post-structural epistemology.
- The advent of post-structural epistemologies and research traditions has provided a new field for research endeavors.
- This form of analysis explores the multiple meanings and interpretations of post-structural philosophy to celebrate the multiple affects of the cinematic experience.
post-structuralist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- It was the post-structuralist thought of Jacques Derrida, Michel Foucault, and Jacques Lacan which provided the theoretical impulse here.
- A post-structuralist destabilizing or decentring of the self is not the same thing as doing away with the notion of the self.
- It is just this idea that many post-structuralists have attacked.
Definition of post-structuralism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.