1A large public box with a slot into which post is placed for collection by the post office.
- She said people had been parking their cars up by the postbox to post their mail and blocking the access of adjacent properties.
- The Royal Mail has reduced collections without providing bigger postboxes to accommodate the volume of letters.
- They are asking the county council to make the lane a safe walking route to and from High Grantley, where the bus stop, school, playgroup, recreation ground, village hall, postbox and public house are all located.
1.1 British term for mailbox.
- To cut down on distances covered by postmen, An Post want householders living more than 10 metres from the road to take a roadside postbox, rather than the postman delivering to their door.
- However at the moment An Post are finding that some businesses are not open to receive their mail and do not have suitable postboxes.
- I fell asleep for a while then got off at the Mini Mart and stopped by my postbox to see if I had any mail.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: post|box
Definition of postbox in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.