- Situated at the back of the orbit or eye socket, in particular denoting a process of the frontal bone which in some reptiles forms a separate bone.More example sentences
- The postorbital process of the frontal bone is sharp.
- The skull of a colugo is very distinctive, broad and flat in outline and with a nearly complete postorbital process that sets off the eye sockets.
- All artiodactyls have a postorbital bar or process.
nounBack to top
- A postorbital bone.More example sentences
- The capitate processes are small and visible through the supratemporal fenestrae dorsally, fitting within fossae in the postorbitals.
- Lateral processes for the postorbitals are short, and a broad sutural contact with the laterosphenoid occurs within the supratemporal space.
- Again, there may be individual variation and some exceptions, but the general rule is six bones: three operculars, the squamosal, a postorbital, and any posterior process of the lacrimojugal.
More definitions of postorbitalDefinition of postorbital in:
- The US English dictionary