Definition of postorbital in English:
Situated at the back of the orbit or eye socket, in particular denoting a process of the frontal bone which in some reptiles forms a separate bone.
- The postorbital process of the frontal bone is sharp.
- The skull of a colugo is very distinctive, broad and flat in outline and with a nearly complete postorbital process that sets off the eye sockets.
- All artiodactyls have a postorbital bar or process.
nounBack to top
A postorbital bone.
- The capitate processes are small and visible through the supratemporal fenestrae dorsally, fitting within fossae in the postorbitals.
- Lateral processes for the postorbitals are short, and a broad sutural contact with the laterosphenoid occurs within the supratemporal space.
- Again, there may be individual variation and some exceptions, but the general rule is six bones: three operculars, the squamosal, a postorbital, and any posterior process of the lacrimojugal.
Definition of postorbital in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.