noun (plural same)[mass noun]
- A French soup of meat, typically boiled beef, and vegetables cooked in a large pot: a brasserie menu including pot-au-feu and pig’s trotters [count noun]: he dished up a heart-stopping pot-au-feuMore example sentences
- The simplest consommé of all, in France, is the broth from pot-au-feu.
- Soups, rabbit dishes, and dishes such as pot-au-feu, coq au vin, and blanquettes are often requested by pickers nostalgic for an era when long, slow cooking was the norm.
- The legendary peasant woman kept a pot-au-feu or bouillon pot on her hearth and, myth has it, threw into it whatever she had around to stew for the day's meal.
French, literally 'pot on the fire'.
More definitions of pot-au-feuDefinition of pot-au-feu in:
- The US English dictionary