Definition of potation in English:
nounarchaic or humorous
1An alcoholic drink: lite potations are very American
More example sentences
- The leader of that Party is put down as a dry sherry man, a potation now associated, if at all, with golf club socials that are likely to be all-white and elderly.
- When the patrons at his restaurant would like to indulge in a decadent potation, they will have to choose between Dom Perignon and Krug.
- Bland is simply a preparation of whey, but owing to the quality of the grass or to the climate becomes here a truly palatable and nourishing potation.
1.2 (often potations) A drinking bout: he became somewhat bloated in middle age, and his potations did not improve his appearance
More example sentences
- Perhaps Shakespeare had particular reason when, in 1598, he had the bibulous Sir John Falstaff complain so bitterly on the subject of ‘thin potations’.
- But, indeed, nature herself seemed to have been his vintner, and at his birth charged him so thoroughly with an irritable, brandy-like disposition, that all subsequent potations were needless.
- Shakespeare makes the point that even the other beer-and-whisky drinking northern Europeans are nothing, in the size of their potations, compared with the Englishman.
Words that rhyme with potationablation, aeration, agnation, Alsatian, Amerasian, Asian, aviation, cetacean, citation, conation, creation, Croatian, counterdemonstration, counterproliferation, crustacean, curation, Dalmatian, delation, dilation, donation, duration, elation, fixation, Galatian, geolocation, glocalization, gyration, Haitian, halation, Horatian, ideation, illation, lavation, legation, libation, location, lunation, mutation, natation, nation, negation, notation, nutation, oblation, oration, ovation, relation, rogation, rotation, Sarmatian, sedation, Serbo-Croatian, station, staycation, taxation, Thracian, vacation, vexation, vocation, zonation
Definition of potation in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India