Definition of potato in English:
noun (plural potatoes)
1A starchy plant tuber which is one of the most important food crops, cooked and eaten as a vegetable: roast potatoes [mass noun]: mashed potato
More example sentences
- Avoid fatty and fried foods and stick to starchy foods like rice, potatoes and pasta.
- Conventional wisdom dictates that starchy foods such as potatoes should give up their sugar slowly into the bloodstream.
- Alternatively, the lamb may be cooked with potatoes or rice, the fat cooking out to enrich and flavour the starchy accompaniment.
2The plant of the nightshade family which produces potatoes on underground runners.
- Solanum tuberosum, family Solanaceae. It was first cultivated in the Andes about 1,800 years ago and was introduced to Europe in circa 1570
- The turnips did fine in ground previously inhabited by beans, beets, lettuce and potatoes.
- She is out with her son planting potatoes on the family farm.
- Tomatoes are apart of the nightshade family, which include potatoes and eggplants.
Definition of potato in:
- US English dictionary