- A nocturnal insectivorous bird resembling a large nightjar, found in tropical America.
More example sentences
- Genus Nyctibius and family Nyctibiidae: five species, in particular the common potoo (N. griseus)
- That night trip also yielded a highland tinamou, two Virginia opossums and - after half an hour spent staring at a yellow eye in a distant tree - what turned out to be a potoo.
- A distant relative of the whippoorwill, the potoo feeds mainly at night, opening its short, curved bill very wide to sweep up flying insects.
- White-winged potoo, a large, very rare nocturnal bird; Iwokrama is one of the best places for spotting this species
mid 19th century: from Jamaican creole, from Akan, of imitative origin.
More definitions of potooDefinition of potoo in:
- The US English dictionary