- A small nocturnal rat-kangaroo with long hindlimbs and typically a hopping gait, native to Australia.
More example sentences
- Genus Potorous, family Potoroidae: three species
- At the other end of the scale from the six large types mentioned above are the rat/rabbit-sized bettongs, potoroos and rat-kangaroos.
- Thousands of rare Australian animals, such as endangered numbats and long-nosed potoroos, face a precarious future as a company set up to ensure their survival faces extinction itself.
- It seems likely that either the cessation of Aboriginal burning - done to attract game species and clear the land - or the arrival of cats caused the extinction of the broad-faced potoroo.
late 18th century: probably from Dharuk badaru.
More definitions of potorooDefinition of potoroo in:
- The US English dictionary