- 1(Of a plant) planted or grown in a flowerpot and usually kept indoors: an array of exotic potted palmsMore example sentences
- We were recently given several potted bamboo plants.
- The thieves entered the premises after removing the padlocks with bolt cutters and a substantial number of potted shrubs and herbaceous plants were removed in broad daylight.
- Before bringing a potted tree indoors, water it thoroughly and hose off the foliage.
- 2chiefly British (Of meat or fish) preserved in a sealed pot or jar: potted shrimpsMore example sentences
- The pair celebrated the occasion at a private reception held in a relative's house - where they dined on Dundee cake, half a pound of potted meat and pop.
- Take your picnic: like nowhere else in Britain, this place calls for potted meat and pineapple chunks straight from the tin.
- One man testified that the potted meat had been supplied unsealed but wrapped in brown paper and sold to several people, none of whom fell ill.
- 2.1(Of a biographical or historical account) put into a short and easily assimilable form: a potted history of the band’s careerMore example sentences
- Herewith a potted description of a great weekend!
- A potted explanation of what has become his obsession is as follows.
- I've already posted a potted summary of Australian Political parties, so go read that to learn about the Dramatis Personae.
- 4(Of an electrical component or circuit) encapsulated in insulating material.More example sentences
- Note: the potted circuit board is a protection circuit which will prevent damage if the plunger fails to seat properly.
- These projectiles can cause major damage to any mechanical or electrical components that are near the potted electronic circuit.
More definitions of pottedDefinition of potted in:
- The US English dictionary