- 1A part of a dress in which a large mass of material has been gathered so that it stands away from the body: [as modifier]: a dress with a pouf skirtMore example sentences
- For a casual night out for the society girl-on-the-go, his red mohair plaid strapless dress with peek-a-boo velvet bow and mini pouf hem detailing of pleated lace and tulle sets the right tone for the evening.
- Gowns with halter tops, pouf satin or silk skirts or ripped hems are right in keeping with the rock princess look.
- ‘Not there,’ she groaned, grabbing my forearm and dragging me away from the pink pouf monstrosity that hung in the store window.
- 1.1A bouffant hairstyle: he grew his hair out in a sort of poufMore example sentences
- Using a blend of honey, blond and warm-brown human hair, he then pinned a large Afro pouf to her head, blending her natural hair into the ‘fro.
- Her crown was precariously perched on the curls piled between the twin poufs, and looked as if it might fall off at any minute.
early 19th century: from French, of imitative origin.